Naturopathic Doctor – Birth Attendant Services (doula, labour support)
- Birthing Pool Rental
- Natural Induction with Naturopathic Medicine
- Baby Food Introduction Workshop ‘The Naturopathic Perspective’
As a naturopathic doctor and birth doula, I accompany women in labour to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I draw on my professional training, knowledge and experience to provide emotional support and physical comfort. My focus is on supporting moms to trust their bodies and to act on their natural birthing instincts.
My birth services include:
An initial naturopathic consult anytime during the pregnancy (1.5 hours)
- complete medical history and physical exam
- request for bloodwork or other exams as needed
- encourage a proactive and preventative approach to prenatal health (microbiome, nutritional deficiencies)
- treatment of common prenatal infections as needed (UTI, GBS, yeast…)
- discuss nutrition and optimal weight gain through pregnancy (cholestasis, gestational diabetes…)
- discuss prevention of postpartum mood and autoimmune disorders (PPMD, thyroid…)
- a lifetime of naturopathic care!
2 prenatal visits (1 hour each)
- discuss birth preferences
- help prepare for labour- including nutrition and hydration
- practice labour positions and breathing techniques
- discuss postpartum care
- offer additional information and resources
- record keeping and sharing contact information
On-call assistance (reachable by pager 24/7) starting 2 weeks before your due date until the birth
Early labour support over the phone or in your home, as needed.
Labour support from the time you request it until 1 to 2 hours after your baby has been born:
- Massage, counter pressure, hot or cold packs
- focus on relaxation guidance
- suggestions for position changes
- encouragement and perspective, positive affirmations
- information about what is happening, help with decision making
- support and breaks for partner
- practical help such as getting drinks and food, running a bath, etc.
Naturopathic labour support at any of the scheduled visits, labour and birth.
- nutritional support
- recommendation of botanical tinctures and/or teas
- homeopathic remedies
- acupuncture or acupressure
One postpartum visit (1 hour)
- Discuss overview of birthing experience to help provide closure
- naturopathic infant care
- healing care for new mom (perineum, breast, hormone balance)
- breastfeeding support
- postpartum mood and autoimmune prevention and treatment
- referrals to other resources as required
Fee $1100, paid in several installments:
- Deposit at time of hiring (refundable up until 38 weeks, or at time of birth) – $150
- Initial naturopathic consult – 90 minutes – $195
- Prenatal visit #1 – 60 minutes – $150
- Prenatal visit #2 – 60 minutes – $150
- Birth – $500 flat fee regardless of time at birth, time on call, outcome of birth, etc.
- Postnatal visit – 60 minutes – $105, OR can be upgraded to Pediatric Initial Naturopathic visit for baby – 90 minutes – $195
All of the above services are billed as naturopathic services if billed under the mother’s name and covered by most health insurance plans. Prenatal visits can be billed under a partner’s name as Naturopathic Prenatal Education, and may or may not be covered by private insurance.
Any supplements or botanical medicines will be charged separately.